[arin-ppml] Q1 - ARIN address transfer policy

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Mon Jun 23 06:14:25 EDT 2008

> The problem is that the mapping of EID to its locators is a
> wide open research problem, with several alternatives being
> explored but no definite answers.

Sorry, but you're wrong on this point. This problem was solved years
ago. The solution is called MPLS.

Frankly. I don't understand why the IETF community is trying to
reinvent MPLS after all these years. Maybe it's just a case of
not-invented-here.

Of course someone will point out that MPLS is not usable end to end
on a multi-AS path which is sort of true. However work is being done
on MPLS interworking, and since it is a layer 2 kind of protocol, it
is probably not such a good idea to treat it differently from other
layer 2 protocols such as FR, ATM, Ethernet, all of which are being
used by network operators today.

--Michael Dillon