[arin-ppml] Q1 - ARIN address transfer policy: why the trigger date?

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Sun Jun 22 14:07:00 EDT 2008

Owen DeLong wrote:

>>> I don't accept your premise that a market is inevitable.

<snip>

> animal to extinction and then the market collapsed.  In this case,
> we have the option of just watching the extinction occur without
> creating a market

If there will be a market, it will happen with or without the registries.

They will get their address space one way or another, and they will
demand it be routed. The ones paying the paychecks will demand they get
routed. Those who refuse to route it will cease getting paychecks.

Effectively at that point ARIN is increasingly irrelevant. We dont want
this scenario.

This is already happening, according to anecdotal evidence.

The only way this scenario doesnt play out this way is if the PHB's say,
"sorry, according to my engineers, no ipv4, only ipv6", and the
customers say "Great! I didnt actually want the ipv4 anyways".

Depending on who you ask, thats either possible, impossible, unlikely,
likely, unrealistic, naive, idealistic, overly simplistic or something
or another. We dont actually know how fast things will transition to the
point ipv4 has no value and ipv6 has all value.

Thats the only way there wont be a market in ipv4. If it has no market
value.

So if there will be a market, it should be one where we can make it
attractive for those we want to participate, to participate.

In exchange we can gain by imposing a cost of participation inline with
our needs.

The balance that needs to be struck is between cost of participation and
the attractiveness of participation.

And if there wont be a market, its unlikely that ARIN could create one.

So coming to grips with a potential increase of value IPv4 blocks will
have post-runout and developing an approach for it are all about
remaining relevant, so as to attempt to ensure our needs are met.

A relevant ARIN is in all our best interests at this point.

Joe