[arin-ppml] Q1 - ARIN address transfer policy

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Sat Jun 21 19:02:18 EDT 2008

At 7:39 AM +0900 6/22/08, Randy Bush wrote:
> > I'll maintain that today's policies for IPv4 and IPv6 allocation provide
>> an option for growth without routing collapse, presuming you believe
>> the equipment community, and we have a coordinated effort to move
>> public Internet servers to IPv6, and the community maintains its
>> conservative (in terms of routing impact) stance on IPv4 and IPv6
>> allocation policies.
>
>after all, they have done so well keeping the /24s out of today's
>routing table.

If ISP's care to route them, then there's obviously room to carry.

>we have to be careful not to inhale too much of our own smoke.

Full agreement there...  kc calls for more modeling of outcomes
and I agreed.   We've got some modeling of status quo in the
RAWS and IRTF RRG work, so at least there's some reality basis
for extrapolation under current policies.   Now, if we want to talk
about smoke, where's all of the modeling from the open market
folks regarding consequences to the routing table?

/John