[arin-ppml] Q2: on Address Transfers - Overkill on the freezeperiod?

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Sat Jun 21 10:08:10 EDT 2008

In a message written on Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 09:26:00AM -0400, Milton L Mueller wrote:
> Note that true speculators are likely to be, indeed must be, first
> recipient and then sources of addresses.
>
> You can't speculate without first buying and then selling, and the pure
> speculator wants to be able to control the time at which they sell to
> capture the highest price. So a long-term restriction on what the
> recipient does with transferred addresses is much more on target than a
> restriction on the source.

You've actually raised an interesting point here because it changes
over time.

Were the policy to be implemented prior to ARIN run-out (and since
it is triggered at IANA run out as written that is the case right
now) then a speculator need not buy first on the market.  Rather
they can requet space from ARIN like anyone else.  While ARIN would
not accept "I want them so I can sell them in a year" as justification
(I hope!); through some combination of bending the truth and/or
various activities (like shell companies who may actually "build
something") I'm sure various people will try it.  We've seen how
creative people can be to try and sell address space.

Post-run out your statement becomes correct, the only way for a
speculator to have addresses to sell is to purchase them on the
market first and then hold them for some period of time.