[arin-ppml] Q1 - ARIN address transfer policy

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Jun 21 04:01:29 EDT 2008

> However, that's not the debate around 2008-2.  The question at hand is
> which would better serve the needs of the community after the free
> pool
> is exhausted: a market-based transfer system, or a simple
> discontinuation of all IPv4 allocations from RIRs?

To me, this assumes facts not in evidence.

Namely:

	1.	It assumes people who realize that there is no valid market
		for their address space will still refuse to return it for recycling.

	2.	It assumes that Markets will significantly increase the amount
		of address space that is returned.

	3.	It assumes that the RIRs will not be able to issue any
		returned space after free pool exhaustion.

I am not convinced any of those three things are true.  Therefore,
I am not convinced that the choices are the only ones available
to us.

Owen