[arin-ppml] Q1 - ARIN address transfer policy

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Sat Jun 21 00:27:44 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 04:21:47PM -0400, Tom Vest wrote:
> Hi Leo,
>
> I think that, purely from a protocol/software standpoint, an
> individual IPv6 address might be pretty close to substitutable for an
> individual IPv4 address, if not today then pretty soon.
>
> Since your bottom line is revenue/profit, how will you maximize this

	Tom,

	While I'll agree to the lema that the Internet of today is
	not the same as the Internet of last century, I refuse to
	beleive that all users/potential users of Internet Addressing
	are driven by revenue/profit.

	Non-profits, research, government, military, public service
	sectors all can and do benefit from equal access to communications
	capabilities...   And their use of IP addresses is not driven
	by revenue/profit.  Does an open market best serve the needs of
	these communities?  Or is the existing needs-based system do a
	better job of resource allocation?

--bill