[arin-ppml] Under what circumstances should ARIN permit transfers? (was: Q1 ...)

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Fri Jun 20 20:58:23 EDT 2008

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

>>> Anyone who says that signed contracts should not matter is frankly
>>> full of fecal matter.
>> Are you arguing that we the community, through ARIN,
>> should not have the right to
>> waive certain contractual rights if we think it's in our
>> collective best interest?
>
> AnyONE.  Not -all- of us.

Ok, then in that case we're in agreement, at least, but I think the
thread above shows some over-reaction.  Everyone who I've heard argue
that parts of "the contracts signed with ARIN should not matter" made
that statement within the context of a discussion about a relaxed
transfer policy proposal like 2008-2.  Either it passes, and we
collectively agree that those parts of the RSA shouldn't matter, or it
doesn't pass, and they still do matter.  I haven't heard anyone arguing
that the RSA should be nullified more generally.

In any event, I'd like to hear your input on some of the more specific
issues, as well.  If the community ends up favoring a relaxed transfer
policy, which rights do you think ARIN should reserve (such as the
requirement for justification of need, holding periods, etc.), and why?

Thanks,
Scott