[arin-ppml] Q2: on Address Transfers - Overkill on the freeze period?

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Fri Jun 20 19:10:09 EDT 2008

Milton L Mueller wrote:

> Here is the selection from 8.3.1. apologies to all:
>
> * The transferor has not received any IPv4 allocations or assignments
> from ARIN (through ordinary allocations or assignments, or through this
> Simple Transfer policy) within the preceding 24 months.
> * The transferor may not request any IPv4 allocations or assignments
> from ARIN (through ordinary allocations or assignments, or through this
> Simple Transfer policy) within the subsequent 24 months.

So it looks to me like the best way to accomplish what you want is to
strike "or through this Simple Transfer policy" from the second clause,
leaving something like this:

* The transferor may not request any ordinary allocations or assignments
IPv4 allocations or assignments from ARIN within the subsequent 24 months.

(Striking the entire second clause would allow someone to transfer away
their current address holdings, and then get more addresses through an
ordinary assignment, which I don't think we want to allow.)

That would have the effect of allowing someone to transfer away their
space, and then turn around receive more space by transfer, perhaps at a
lower price.  Essentially, that allows someone to "short" IPv4
addresses, while requiring "long" positions to be at least 24 months
long.  It would also allow someone to transfer away their addresses,
with the assurance that, if they end up needing addresses after all,
they can get new addresses.

Those, in turn, would add supply to the market, driving prices down
somewhat.

I would not be opposed to such a change.  Can anyone else think of any
negative implications that would outweigh the positives already outlined?

Thanks,
Scott