[arin-ppml] Q1 - ARIN address transfer policy: why the trigger date?

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Fri Jun 20 13:47:35 EDT 2008

> * Which is not to say I believe there will be zero transactions.
>   Someone will hijack space, someone will sell, someone will buy.
>   For there to be a real market, there must be multiple buyers, and
>   sellers and some reasonably well defined way for them to meet.
>   A few isolated individual transactions does not count, at least
>   to me.

so, would it be better in your opinion that there not be such a market,
which presumably would not occur without an ARIN transfer policy, since
sellers would be in violation of their RSA's?  or is the fact that most
space in the world is legacy mean that such a market will come into
existence (perhaps, created and operated by speculators?) no matter what
ARIN does with 2008-2?