[arin-ppml] Q1 - ARIN address transfer policy: why the trigger date?

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Fri Jun 20 10:35:47 EDT 2008

Milton L Mueller wrote:
> And my simple observation is that if it
> makes sense to do that after IANA pool depletion, it makes sense to do
> it beforehand.

For what it's worth, the Denver meeting seemed to agree with you.  The
meeting transcript reads:

"On the assumption that ARIN continues work on the policy proposal and
maintains a need-based qualification of recipients, all those in favor
of an effective date sooner than the IANA IPv4 free pool depletion,
raise your hand. ... On the matter of an earlier effective date than the
IPv4 depletion date, in favor, 35; opposed, 13. This information will be
provided to the AC for their consideration."

So, perhaps the question should be: what would be a better "earlier
effective date"?

-Scott