[arin-ppml] Whois Archival Policy?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Jun 18 23:52:44 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 10:39 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> I'd like to find out from members of the community how they feel about the
> idea of having such a policy.
> Should we develop a policy allowing ARIN to release historical WHOIS
> records?

Owen,

I see one potential difficulty:

Many (most?) of the legacy registrations were pretty haphazard. Having
the ability to identify components of prior registration details may
be the only way an original registrant can establish his bona fides in
a dispute. If the data is intentionally published, the data goes from
being marginally usable for authentication to being unusable for
authentication.

Here's a question:

If you're the original legacy registrant but your email address, phone
number and postal address have changed, how exactly do you establish
your bona-fides to ARIN in order to make a change now?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004