[arin-ppml] Creating a transfer market for IPv4 addresses

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue Jun 17 19:01:23 EDT 2008

> Right now we are talking about address transfers, not a routing market.
> I don't see the two as linked.

many people here do.  there is apocrypha that an ip space market will
cause more fragmentation, and that this puts more pressure on the
routing table, and that a market in routing slots would address that issue.

personally, i believe that the first assumption, market produces
fragmentation, is very weak.  it just changes where you get space, not
what you do with it.  of course there will be some effect, but nothing
like the crap-think that makes the current routing table over half /24
rubbish.

secondly, i am highly suspicious of any amateur regulatory causal chains
this long.  we are sooo good at asserting physics that is not yet
demonstrated.  hence my inclination to minimal regulatory structure
until we learn more about reality and depend less on amateur guesses.

randy