[arin-ppml] Portable address space vs. IPv6 auto-numbering

Jason Schiller schiller at uu.net
Fri Jun 13 16:04:49 EDT 2008

If Tony and Robin are taking a poll on the best way to make routing scale,
I'll agree with Paul and Lee.  If I have to choose between implementing
locator and ID separation in either IPv4 or IPv6, I think IPv6 makes the
most sense.  However I don't see any solutions for IPv4 that cannot also
be implemented in IPv6.

If there is a way to make IPv4 and IPv6 more scalable through redirection
such as locator/ID separation then we should be working on providing that
functionality for both protocols.

However, if the extra bits in IPv6, or the extra next-headers somehow give
us more flexibility and allow us to as Tony Li puts it "do something
better", that is less "architecturally unclean", then we should focus on
an architectural solution for IPv6, especially when we consider IPv4
depletion.

This is not to say as Robin suggests that by focusing on IPv6 we somehow
get the luxury of more time.

No matter whether we focus on solving the routing issue in IPv4, IPv6, or
both protocols, we have maybe two years until IPv4 depletion.  Once that
occurs demand for new address will only be fulfilled through IPv6.  It
would be nice if we had a solution for mult-homing, TE, and mobility at
that time so we do  not recreate the problems that IPv4 is currently
suffering from in IPv6, namely massive de-aggregation to solve the
problems of multi-home, TE, mobility, and provider independence.

The short time line may drive us to something which requires little
or no stack modifications and instead is more "architecturally unclean".

__Jason

Jason Schiller                                               (703)886.6648
Senior Internet Network Engineer                         fax:(703)886.0512
Public IP Global Network Engineering                       schiller at uu.net
UUNET / Verizon                         jason.schiller at verizonbusiness.com

The good news about having an email address that is twice as long is that
it increases traffic on the Internet.