[arin-ppml] simple question about money

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Fri Jun 13 15:17:12 EDT 2008

If done right it may not - BUT what it does do is throw the
entire issue of control over address assignment to the national
legal system of the country that the parties are in.

Party A and Party B are in the US.  The US has no law on ownership
of IP addresses.  Party A and party B sign a legal contract to
transfer registration of IP addresses between each other.  ARIN
comes along and says "party A has not met utilization requirements
and thus the transfer isn't allowed"

It would seem that party A and B both would immediately file a
lawsuit against ARIN alleging interference in a contract.  ARIN has
no law backing it's control over the IP addresses so the whole
thing goes to a US court to sort out.

This type of thing has -already- happened.  What was done is the
issue was punted on jurisdictional issues since one party was
not in the US, so ARIN argued US laws didn't apply and the court
threw out the case, and both parties ended up being forced to
deal with ARIN anyway.  Also, since the case was an acquisition
not a transfer, and ARIN already has rules that cover that, the
court observed that one party had been subject to their contract
with ARIN which dictated that they had to work with ARIN.

If we allow transfers then we merely open the door for one of
these cases to be tried in a US court which will then begin the
process of creating case law and legal precedent that will ultimately
end up ceeding control of address assignment to the US, within
the US.  Then it's only a matter of time before other countries
get into the act and now we have a legal morass of different
laws regarding IP addressing assignments in different countries.

IP addressing is a global issue and the legal framework for
anything like IPv4 transferring belongs in the World Court so
it is the same for all countries, all RIRs.

But if you look at the rest of the world, they have more interest
in IPv6 than in IPv4.  The US really is the one that has the
most interest in IPv4 because it's been on the Internet longer.
The US really needs to get with the program and not try imposing
this dependence on IPv4 on the rest of the world.

Ted