[arin-ppml] simple question about money

Tom Vest tvest at pch.net
Fri Jun 13 14:25:34 EDT 2008

Hi Milton -- welcome to the conversation ;-)

On Jun 13, 2008, at 12:40 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> [...]

Thanks for using this particular analogy!
I'd love to hear more about what you concluded from your Chinese
research, esp. about the competitive environment that resulted.

The Chinese privatization was short-lived, and when the authorities
decided they didn't like the results they re-nationalized
the "flagship" private/competitive carrier and turned it into the
telco for the northern provinces.
Today there may be superficial segments where competition exists, but
certainly not at the "fundamental" (as in non-substitutable input)
infrastructure level, which happens to be where IP address resources
are relevant. At that level, China is even more valuable as an
example, since it is not even possible to make use of IP address space
from legitimate external sources within the territory -- perhaps as a
matter of commercial practice rather than affirmative law, but what
difference does it make in the absence of competitive alternatives?

If things turn out to be other that the transfer enthusiasts wish,
there will no return path for address resources -- or at least none
involving "self-governance" as it currently exists.

To be honest, I'm a little that surprised community members don't
sound even more conservative than they do.

>> The ARIN BoT could end up in jail if they don't do it right, and
>> doing it right costs a lot of money. It is easier to not do it
>> at all and continue with the current policy which discourages
>> selling entirely. A few wierdos hand over money anyway, but since
>> there are no guarantees that BOUGHT addresses will work, this has
>> never picked up any momentum. It has been happening since the mid
>> 1990's if not earlier, but it is a drop in the bucket, not a market.
>
> The problem with your argument here is that it fails to take into
> account the increasing scarcity, and the pressures that will
> inevitably
> place upon ARIN and other RIRs. I was going to answer your argument in
> full but discovered that ARIN's legal staff has already done so.
> Here is
> the analysis from ARIN's counsel:
>
> "No matter what policy ARIN implements, it seems likely that there
> will
> be more disputes, and hence more legal risk, once ARIN can no longer
> satisfy requests for v4 resources.  But if ARIN attempted to continue
> its existing policy to prohibit most transfers, counsel anticipates
> that
> widespread transfers would nonetheless occur -- imposing significant
> future legal costs including the costs of investigation, arbitration,
> and litigation."
>
>> Nobody can know how many addresses are "free" in the ISPs since
>> "free" is hard to pin down. If I shut down a dialup pool and put
>> those
>> addresses in limbo for 4 months while I try to cleanse the DUL lists,
>> are they really "free"? If I notify all small business customers that
>> when contract renewal time comes up, I will not renew contracts
>> unless
>> they agree to go to NAT, hand back their address allocations, and
>> live
>> behind a single statically assigned address per circuit, then
>> are those handed-back addresses "free".
>
> Thank you, these are interesting empirical issues regarding the degree
> to which addresses are fungible resources that could be released and
> transferred. I would like to hear more from ISPs about this. Or any
> other resrouces you know of that clarify the issue.
>
>> Yes, but in this industry the opposite had happened. We have created
>> a new kind of spectrum which is so vast that it will be hard for
>> anyone (except the RIRs) to hang onto enough spectrum that it will
>> block other users. That new spectrum is IPv6.
>
> Don't want to get too stuck in analogy-land, but there are more
> parallels here than you might think.

There are indeed.

"Diehard communists" are not the only kind of people that raise
concerns about embarking on far-reaching privatization plans without
adequate forethought.

Do you remember the debates for and against "shock therapy" in Poland
and Russia?
Would you say that the critics -- all of them -- were too conservative
in those cases too?

I do look forward to hearing more about relevant parallels.

Regards,

Tom