[arin-ppml] IPv6 in the Economist

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Tue Jun 10 18:25:53 EDT 2008

Lets try to get the substantive discussion going again.

Leo Bicknell asserted that 99% of resolvers are EDNSO capable. I
disputed this and asserted that even if true, 1% failure is too much to
consider as stable.

In fact, http://www.ripe.net/docs/ripe-352.html reports some (2005)
statistic on EDNSO. Particularly, table 2 shows statistics for k root,
and shows that about 34.5% of the queries contain the EDNSO option.  I
think this probably represents the percentage of EDNSO-capable recursive
nameservers.

It is interesting that ns-pri.ripe.net reports 70% queries with EDNSO
option. This server responds to the people going to RIPE's web pages,
and is probably more heavily weighted to the comparative 'DNS
cognoscenti' who frequent the pages and services of RIPE-NCC.  Even the
DNS elites don't support EDNSO very well. Hmm.

This paper by ICANN (2007) reports ICANNs view:
http://www.icann.org/committees/security/sac018.pdf
 I think this document glosses over some of the problems, oversimplifies
some of the issues, and ignores some obvious alternatives. The document
considers only two alternatives and ignores any other possible
alternative, particularly the alternative of separating IPv6 name
resolution from IPv4 name resolution. For some reason, that alternative
wasn't even considered.

		--Dean

617 344 9000