[arin-ppml] IPv6 in the Economist

John Paul Morrison jmorrison at bogomips.com
Mon Jun 9 18:44:35 EDT 2008

On 6/9/2008 2:39 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> Robin, the problem here is summarized by the old Star Trek quote
> "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"
and
On 6/9/2008 10:32 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> If Brian just WANTS a portable block of IPv6 because he thinks it
> would be "cool to have" or that it would make him "special" then
> I'm sorry, but the Internet has been
> a commercial network for over a decade now, we really don't want
> a bunch of small fry experimenters on it anymore.  He needs to do
> what everyone else does and work within the system and get his
> numbering from someone larger.  Or if he must experiment, then he
> can go to work for some larger network, where his experimenting will
> be supervised by someone more knowledgeable.

So make up your mind already! Is the Internet a commercial network,
closed to garage do it-your-selfers and future innovators as you argue,
or some kind of communal resource, shepherded by the wise old sages of
the Internet for the benefit of the unwashed (but TCP/IP clothesline
dried) masses??

I detect more than just a little sanctimonious BS here. You're telling
one person wanting portable v6 addresses to shut up and go home, because
the Internet is the big leagues now.
But then you're whining about NAT and the needs of the many.  Well if
the Internet is a commerce and business driven enterprise, then this
thing called The Market will decide how/when/if IPv6 resolves things -
to all the little guys stuck with NAT or address space shortage - tough
luck. The needs of the many only matter when they're spending money.

On the other hand, if the community needs are to count for anything,
IPv6 address portability ought to be factored in precisely to take care
of the little guys, early adopters, and those who've learned from IPv4
experience. If there are any lessons from the early days of IPv4, it's
that if you got portable IPv4 space early on, you didn't get held
hostage by service providers, didn't have to jump through address
justification bureaucracy because of someone else's design and policy
decisions, and you were given the chance to implement your network
redundancy/multi-homing properly with BGP (again without being beholden
to any service provider).