[arin-ppml] simple question about money

Brian Reid reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Sun Jun 8 10:46:34 EDT 2008

Sale, rent, whatever. It's $1000/year that I'll have to pay to use IPv6. I know there are fee waivers in the beginning, but I don't care about the beginning. I care about the long term, and committing to $1000/year long term for the use of something that cannot possibly cost more than $10/year is, in my opinion, bordering on criminal.

You will not convince me that it costs more than about $10/year to do all of the administrative processing needed to remember that I am the authorized user of that portion of the address space. If I were the only user, then, yes, the cost of maintaining an administrative staff would be more than $10/year. But in the fullness of time there ought to be millions of people using it, and tens of millions a year is the kind of thing that I expect ICANN to spend, not ARIN.

When you finish making fun of me for asking the question, it would be good to have a factual answer. Pompous assertions that I must be ignorant else I would understand why they have to charge so much are neither factual nor answers.