[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Equitable Distribution of IPv4 Resources before IPv4 Run out

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Jun 8 03:42:41 EDT 2008

On Jun 7, 2008, at 11:44 PM, Martin Hannigan wrote:

> [...]
Because it will create an unfair disadvantage to the larger
providers for no reason other than the fact that they are larger.
Indeed, I think that need-based allocation down to the
end with the exception of a reservation for transitional
technologies is the best proposed end-game so far.

> [ clip ]
>
>> I think that there needs to be a certain amount of space
>> set aside to support transitional technologies or we may
>> end up with a catch-22 in the end-game.
>

> Again, in the end-game, why wouldn't PA be sufficient?

Because I believe that some of the people who will need
this space may well be the providers that would assign it,
and, some will be their customers in a day when they have
nothing left to assign.

I'd rather count on ARIN reserving a certain amount of space
for this purpose (one organization I can trust and watch) vs.
depending on EVERY provider to do so (may organizations
which are opaque and hard to watch and several of which
have proven repeatedly that they are not trustworthy).

Owen