[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Dedicated IPv4 block to facilitate IPv6 deployment

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Sat Jun 7 21:35:22 EDT 2008

cathy, you wrote:

> I think the little non-contiguous blocks should be used for this. I brought
> it up at the meeting and I was shot down by folks who felt that it needed to
> be contiguous so that it can be filtered appropriately.  It must not be
> passe for some folks :-)

it seems possible that a lot of people think that others are doing prefix
length filtering, but that only a few people, or nobody, is actually doing
it.  the policy process should be informed somehow.  any idea how we can
objectively measure this, like a poll of operators in the region, or a poll
of operators worldwide, or some kind of ping test using source addresses in
various small prefixes, or some combination?  if the AC can design and accept
experiments that would inform this policy, i feel sure that we could get the
experiments run by various nonpartisans with expertise in the area.

paul