[arin-ppml] IPv6 in the Economist

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri Jun 6 08:21:30 EDT 2008

On 6 Jun 2008 Owen DeLong wrote:

> >> I think it would have been better if it was accurate:
> >>
> >> http://www.economist.com/printedition/displaystory.cfm?story_id=114
> >> 82493
> >>
> >> Last time I checked, IPv6 was not "incorporated" into XP. Given the
> >> <sarcasm> huge popular success of Vista especially in corporate
> >> environments </sarcasm> that changes the picture a bit, as XP still
> >>  is by far the most popular operating system.
> >
> > It requires activation from the command line, but Windows XP
> > definitely
> > has IPv6 support.  I enabled and used it on my XP laptop at the last
> > ARIN meeting.
>
> Except you can't do name resolution if you turn off IPv4.
>
> I would say that's not full IPv6 support.
>
> I'd say that's minimal sort-of support at best.
>
> Owen

You are being typical techies, completely missing the point, and obscuring it
with nit-picky details.  I will join you :), but first.

</techie off>

The most important part is the navy pin-striped suit world of the Economist
is talking about IPv6, be glad and capitalize on it.  For you services providers
out there, get your CEOs to push this out to your customers executives.  For
end-user organizations, get your CIO to share this with the rest of the CXOs
in your organization.

</techie on>

So why should Microsoft support IPv6 any better than it supports IPv4.

David Farmer				Email:	farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota			Phone:	612-626-0815
2218 University Ave SE			Cell:	612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029		FAX:	612-626-1818