[arin-ppml] IPv6 in the Economist

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Fri Jun 6 00:43:06 EDT 2008

> Scott Leibrand wrote:
> The Economist, in their usual fashion, did a very good job with
> their metaphors in explaining the issues of IPv4 exhaustion and
> IPv6 transition for a general audience:

I think it would have been better if it was accurate:

http://www.economist.com/printedition/displaystory.cfm?story_id=11482493
> {..} Support for IPv6 is already baked into most popular operating
> system software. It is incorporated into Windows XP and Vista {..}

Last time I checked, IPv6 was not "incorporated" into XP. Given the
<sarcasm> huge popular success of Vista especially in corporate
environments </sarcasm> that changes the picture a bit, as XP still is
by far the most popular operating system.

I purchased some HP PCs recently; as many others, I bought the Windows
Vista downgrade (meaning: the Vista license is purchased and the system
comes with XP). And yes it is the actual wording.
http://h20331.www2.hp.com/Hpsub/downloads/Vista_downgrade_FAQ.pdf

Michel.