[arin-ppml] Linking IPv4 allocations to IPv6

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Thu Jul 17 14:42:24 EDT 2008

This doesn't have to be this difficult or complicated.  Every IPV4
request should also get a /xx if IPv6 if it does not already exist.
There should be no requirement to use or route the IPv6 block.  The end
user can use it as PI, PA, whatever they want, or not at all.  If /xx is
a /32, or even a /34, there are very few organizations (on a global
scale) that will actually utilize a significant percentage of an IPv6
/32.  So we give people too many IPv6 addresses..  what is the problem?

Excess route advertisement is simple..  if you are not going to publicly
route it, don't advertise it.  If you don't advertise it then it doesn't
consume a slot.  To my  mind this is the only distinction between IPv6
public space and IPv6 private space.  If you are going to route part of
your block and not another part, advertise the whole block (or one
contiguous block) in one aggregate statement, and access list at your
edge the parts of the advertised block you do not want to route.  This
minimizes route slots consumed and gives you complete control over how
you want to utilize your IPv6 block without having to deal with any
authority.  It also makes routing "private" space between peers, or
inter-area tunnelling trivial.

IPv4 requests are going to get tougher.  Simple.  There is no policy
that will guarantee availability of IPv4 space to everyone or anyone
forever.  When it is gone we cannot manufacture more.  Well, we can, by
adding more bits to the address space..  hmm..  that sounds like IPv6

Every host does not have to be dual stack..  only your edge hardware
needs to be dual stack..  you can translate at your edge if needed..
there is facility built in to IPv6 for v6/v4 one to one translation by
prepending the IPv4 address with your IPv6 network segment..  voila, it
routes and there was no internal renumbering..  Cisco hardware does this
today.