[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Dedicated IPv4 block to facilitateIPv6 deployment

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Wed Jul 16 05:53:23 EDT 2008

> For example, if you think that only fringe elements are
> placing their bets on no IPv6, ever, then I commend to your attention:
>
> http://www.renesys.com/tech/presentations/pdf/telecomnext-unde
> rwood-ipv6.pdf
>
> http://www.renesys.com/blog/2006/03/bashing_ipv6_at_telecomnext.shtml

That's one guy. The OECD, of which the USA is a member, seems
to think IPv6 is inevitable. The EU is taking measures to
encourage deployment of IPv6. In China, Japan and Korea, the
major economies of the Asia-Pacific region, IPv6 is already
deployed and there is government backing for extending this
deployment. In the USA, the DoD and Federal government are
pushing IPv6 as the way forward. But I do understand that in
the USA, businesses are under no obligation to follow the
lead of the OECD or Federal government, but do you seriously
think that U.S. network operators will circle the wagons
and go it alone with IPv4 while the rest of the world goes
with IPv6?

--Michael Dillon