[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Dedicated IPv4 block to facilitate IPv6 deployment

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Tue Jul 15 12:50:19 EDT 2008

On 27-Jun-2008, at 14:26 , Tom Vest wrote:

> If it wasn't already obvious, I support this proposal.
> However, I think that the reservation should envision a 20-year
> transition timeframe, if not longer.

In discussing this with Alain early on, we talked about how to figure
out how large the block should be.  I think a reasonable approach is
to look at the growth curve of the number of unique organizations ARIN
has, and then project out to whatever horizon we want from there.  It
shouldn't be too hard to figure out an average allocation per org
under this policy, which should tell us the size of the reserve that's
necessary.

> I am assuming that a resource transfer proposal will advance in
> parallel, and ultimately versions of both policies may be approved.
>
> If that happens, some very risk-averse and/or very windfall-driven
> IPv4 holders/users may still be tempted to hold out until the reserved
> pool too is exhausted. The size of the reserved pool is the only real
> deterrent to discourage that kind of strategy.

Agreed.  I hadn't really considered this impact to transfers, but it
certainly seems plausible... so setting the horizon a long way out
seems like a good idea to me.

Matt