[ppml] Policy Proposal: SWIP support for smaller than /29

mack mack at exchange.alphared.com
Sun Jan 20 00:43:24 EST 2008

I am not certain this policy is necessary.  Expanding SWIP by a factor of 8
may put an undue burden on the infrastructure.

SWIP for blocks smaller than /29 moves the burden of maintenance to ARIN.

Although I agree with the objection that RWHOIS is ancient, until someone
develops something better we are going to see increasing use.  The RWHOIS
distributed model seems better suited for long term use than SWIPs centralized
model.  Particularly as the amount of data expands to 3 billion+ records.

RWHOIS and the table format already provide the capability to display blocks
smaller than a /29.

I don't have evidence but I believe ARIN staff already take RWHOIS into
account if blocks smaller than /29 are displayed.

This proposal could be considerably simplified by only retaining the following
modification:

> 4.2.3.7.5.) Accounting for additional utilization
>
> "
> The following format should be used to provide the required information
> for utilization of blocks smaller than /29 and for describing internal
> networks:
> "
>
> Replace with
>
> "
> The following format should be used to provide the required information
> for utilization of blocks smaller than /29 and for describing internal
> networks when either SWIP or RWHOIS server is not used:
> "

This implies ARIN will accept SWIP of blocks smaller than /29 and get data
from either SWIP or RWHOIS before requiring the tabular format.

Or the alternative format proposed, which is neutral on method:

> 4.2.3.7.5.) Accounting for additional utilization
>
> "
> The following format should be used to provide the required information
> for utilization of blocks smaller than /29 and for describing internal
> networks:
> "
>
> Replace with
>
> "
> For blocks smaller than /29 and for internal space, ISPs must provide
> utilization data via one of the following methods: SWIP, RWHOIS server,
> or the following table format:
> "

For the record I think ARIN should accept data in the three formats
provided but SWIP does not seem scalable into the future.

--
LR Mack McBride
Network Administrator