[ppml] SWIP proposal and SWIP stats.

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Fri Feb 29 15:32:27 EST 2008

michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:

>>As recently suggested, ARIN has made the requested changes to
>>produce a new histogram.  It can be found at:
>>
>>http://www.arin.net/statistics/index.html#ipv4org.
>

> One of those charts shows that there are about 1,000 SWIPs which
> are processed manually each month. Given that there is a proposal
> whose effect will be to INCREASE the number of SWIPs submitted,
> it would be interesting to know what causes SWIPs to be processed
> manually.

Definitely interesting.

The expected increase is unknown, but I would be surpised were it be
more than a few percentage points of current.

> I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the systems can process several
> times as many SWIPs as today at no additional cost. However, manual
> processing costs are going to increase directly with the number of
> SWIPs that are processed manually.
>
> --Michael Dillon

That doesnt match the stat trend. The number of manuals does not appear
to correlate at all to the overall number, which varies from a high of
88k to 35k, more than double.

The manuals vary from 1700 to 750, but the 1700 comes from a month of
44k automatic, contrast with 816 manuals from a month of 88.4k