[ppml] Policy Proposal 2008-2: IPv4 Transfer Policy Proposal

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri Feb 29 14:03:35 EST 2008

In a message written on Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 06:25:02PM -0000, michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:
> all, if IP address blocks are being bought and sold, they have an
> equity value and the contracts that are sold would be equity
> derivatives.

IP address blocks are not being bought or sold.  The services
provided by ARIN are being transferred from one party to another
for monetary consideration.

Even the AC has trouble keeping the language straight; but the
example I've used is Windows.  People all the time say "I bought a
copy of Windows."  However, if you look at the contract that's not
what happened at all; you licensed a single copy of the software
for use on a single CPU blah blah blah blah (I think about 30 pages
of blah, actually).

It's easy to say "I bought some IP space from ARIN", but if you
read the RSA that's not what happened at all.

Specific to your question about SEC (or other) regulation, I don't
believe it has been raised as a concern with the way the current
policy is drafted.  There is a generic concern that any change in
policy may prompt /new/ government regulation in the realm of IP
Resources but I don't think there's a feeling any of the current
regulations would magically apply if this policy were to pass.