[ppml] Policy Proposal 2008-2: IPv4 Transfer Policy Proposal

Jim Weyand jweyand at computerdata.com
Fri Feb 29 12:14:04 EST 2008

Does our economist monitor this list?  There is a lot of language in the
rationale section that says that many of the restrictions on trade are
designed to limit speculation.  Is speculation worse than living with
the restrictions imposed by this proposal?

For example one restriction is that if you transfer address space to
another party you may not receive address space for another 24 months.
This means that if you have a nice large block you are prevented from
transferring the entire block to another party and getting a more
suitable block in return.

This restriction will also artificially increase the "market price" of a
block of addresses since I will only take the risk of running out of
addresses in next 24 months if it is very rewarding.

I'd like to hear our economist's (Ben?) comments on the cost to the
community of the restrictions v. speculation.

Even with these restrictions I can support this policy, however I think
it is worthwhile to consider the "hidden" costs associated with these
restrictions.

-Jim Weyand