[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Transfer Policy Proposal

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda at icann.org
Wed Feb 20 21:15:42 EST 2008

On 20/02/2008 17:37, "Owen DeLong" <owen at delong.com> wrote:

>> I don't know whether 24 months is better than another length of time.
>> However, it seems that the current proposal would mean that if a
>> network got
>> a six month supply of IPv4 space from ARIN six months before the
>> IANA free
>> pool was exhausted they would have to wait a further 18 months
>> before they
>> could transfer away any prefixes they no longer needed. These
>> numbers would
>> change if proposal 2007-22  is accepted.
>>
> If they just got a 6 month supply of addresses, shouldn't that imply
> that they
> don't have any addresses they can free up?

There could be addresses to free up when customer numbers drop or service
offerings change.

In the former case, a drop in revenue could be temporarily plugged by
'selling off' address space. In the latter case, an ISP might want to offer
a basic web-only service provided with an RFC 1918 address while 'selling
off' the freed up address space to gain some extra revenue.

I think both these scenarios could happen. They aren't necessarily good
things - but someone else might need that address space and if so, why not
let them get hold of it?

Regards,

Leo