[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Transfer Policy Proposal

Cliff Bedore cliffb at cjbsys.bdb.com
Wed Feb 20 17:39:08 EST 2008

I was away from the list for a while and have been trying to catch up on all
the postings on this proposal.  I've read a lot of pros and cons for the
proposal but it seems to me that unless ARIN is fundamentally changing its
charter, there should be very limited reasons for approving sales.  If I
haven't made it through to someone elses comments that express the same thing,
forgive me.

As I understand the process of getting IPv4 numbers, an entity will come to
ARIN with a justification for new/additional allocations.  Based on certain
criteria, ARIN will approve or disapprove the request.

If one entity buys another entity, the IP numbers from the purchasee can be
transferred to the purchaser as approved by an existing ARIN policy.

Unless ARIN changes its charter, these seem to be the approved ways of getting
IPv4 numbers.

It seems to me that the only time ARIN should be in the business of approving
"sales" of IPv4 addresses is when they have run out of the size requested.  If
someone has justified an allocation but ARIN doesn't have the assets, then
the requestor/ARIN may initiate an effort to find those assets from a 3rd
party.  (At some point, this may be the de facto process because of limited
assets at ARIN)

It may be a matter of degree but I don't think ARIN should be approving sales
of IPv4 addresses unless they have no assets to offer.  Approving "sales" before
ARIN has run out of assets would corrupt the current process and lead to all
kinds of discontent from those who play by the rules.

If I misread the proposal and this is what it says, forgive me but it seemed
more convoluted than what I said above.

Cliff
--
Cliff Bedore
7403 Radcliffe Dr. College Park MD 20740