[ppml] IPv6 getting real: was Policy Proposal: IPv4 TransferPolicy Proposal

Michael Sinatra michael at rancid.berkeley.edu
Sat Feb 16 19:26:32 EST 2008

k claffy wrote:

>   After all, it's in the core. You would think college students
>   would be trading MP3s or movies or something. (I've heard many rumors
>   that they have been known to do so over IPv4.)
>
> you lost me there. if they're trading music and movies
> over ipv4, why should they use ipv6?

They will only start using IPv6 when they realize that the DMCA
'enforcers' out there have no visibility in IPv6 and that they can share
stuff with impunity.  (This may already be happening in tunnels.)

But that brings us back to the point.  Many EDUs who have v6 in their
core, and even in administrative and research nets, have not enabled it
on their resnets, mainly because there is so much management glue that
allows for bandwidth management, auditing (so the resnet admins know who
to contact if/when those DMCA notices come in), making sure only
authorized users are using the resnet, etc.  That management glue
currently only understands IPv4.  The fear is that if an EDU enables
IPv6 on a reshall network, it will be the wild, wild west all over again.

It's interesting to note that since EDUs *are* ISPs with respect to
their resnets, I can certainly understand why commercial residential SPs
are not fully v6ified, and why we'll see v6 in the core first.

michael