[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Transfer Policy Proposal

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Thu Feb 14 13:46:03 EST 2008

In a message written on Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 10:36:51AM -0800, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> There is not, to my knowledge, a SINGLE CPE, ie: DSL modem, cable modem,
> Linksys/Netgear/Dlink/whatever ethernet-to-ethernet router that speaks
> IPv6.  Other than the test firmware that was written for a Linksys I

Apple Airport Extreme.  IPv6 routing, 6to4 tunneling and manual
tunnels out of the box.

> A very large number of residential users run multiple computers, both
> laptops on wireless or small hubs.  Their ISP can, of course, easily
> assign them a subnet of IPv6.  But, they will need a router at their
> site to route the IPv6 subnet.

Perhaps if your cable modem, often provided by the ISP, dropped off
a /64 there would be a lot of users who had no need for a NAT/Router.
WiFi boxes may not be manageable over IPv6, but can broadcast an
IPv6 network at layer 2 in this configuration.  The primary reason
people have "routers" today is they get a single IP, so they need
a NAT gatway to connect multiple computers.  Providing a /64 makes
that unnecessary, which largely means support in those boxes is a
non-issue.

Imagine that, removing a box from the network, reducing cost,
complexity, and configuration.