[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Transfer Policy Proposal

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Thu Feb 14 13:02:03 EST 2008

This is an ARIN not an IANA policy.

You mean "when ARIN is no longer able to respond..."

ARIN will always be able to respond, because there will be IPv4
that will always be vacated.  There will always be ISP's and
networks that go out of business and stop paying their registration
fees, thus that space will become available.

The problem isn't that ARIN cannot respond with IPv4 allocation
requests.  The problem is that they cannot repond as fast as you
want 'em.

Unless, of course, this policy goes into effect.  Because then,
nobody will return IPv4 to ARIN.  They will just sell it to someone
else.  Over time the deep-pockets own everything.

You know, we already have that kind of stuff going on in other
industries.  I for one am just a bit sick of the "he who has the
gold makes the rules" garbage.  Can we just please NOT have to
drag the Internet down this path?

>Additionally, the policy specifically requires that a transferee meet
>all of the same requirements that are necessary in order to qualify
>under the request-reallocate system prior to receiving a transfered
>block, so, this policy doesn't really create a "special" class in that
>regard.

If that is all you really want, then a "reservation" system can
be created that would require the IP block owner to return the blocks
to ARIN then ARIN reallocate them.  No money need change hands
between the donor and recipient.  The donor pays less fees so they
financially benefit.

If your dead-set that the only way donors will give up IPv4 is by
paying them over and above the financial gain for not having to pay
fees on IPv4, then post-IPv4 runout, ARIN can start "bonusing" out
donors who return IPv4 - and raise allocation fees for IPv4 to pay
for the bonuses.  In that way it is fair for everyone, and the burden
is not on the requestor to find an org that has spare IPv4.

Also, it eliminates a lot of annoyong "do-nothings" who will likely
setup boiler room operations and do dialing for dollars, bothering all
of us admins whining for IPv4 they can 'broker' for us.

>If you feel that the policy does not accomplish this, it would be useful
>for you to propose alternative language that you believe would do so.

I just did.

Ted