[ppml] IPv6 getting real: was Policy Proposal: IPv4 Transfer Policy Proposal

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Thu Feb 14 09:25:23 EST 2008

I completely understand that the list of things I touched on was
primarily the "trivial" applications, I did that on purpose to stress a
point.  Whether realistic or not these "trivial" applications are the
things that will generate noise from my residential ISP customers.  I am
sure that commercial and enterprise implementations face a completely
different set of priorities, with the exception of smooth running VPN's
being critical.

I am also sure that there are many critical apps that I did not mention
which are not IPv6 functional today, but I do not want to write a
treatise.  I do find it quite interesting that end user applications
seem to be riding the leading edge, for example Operating Systems and
Email Clients are ready, while email servers and RBL's are lagging
behind.

IPv6 is technically possible today (Great news IMHO, and kudos to all
that brought it to being), but I would certainly not call it useful for
the average consumer --  yet.

As I stated earlier, the biggest drawback up here in the boonies is that
none of my upstream providers are offering IPv6.  The day after I have
IPv6 upstream available I will be routing, in some shape or fashion.

Kevin