[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Transfer Policy Proposal

Jim Weyand jweyand at computerdata.com
Wed Feb 13 19:12:15 EST 2008

Scott-

I copied section 8.4.2 and added your new language as the final bullet
point.  I assume this is how you want it to read.

8.4.2    Conditions on the transferee:

      * The transferee resides in the ARIN service area and intends to
use
        the transferred IPv4 addresses within the ARIN service area.
      * The transferee has no outstanding balances with ARIN.
      * The transferee's need is confirmed by ARIN, according to current
        ARIN policies, including but not limited to confirmation of
        utilization rate of any prior IPv4 allocations, assignments, or
        previously transferred IPv4 addresses held by the transferee.
      * The transferee signs (or has previously signed) an RSA covering
        the IPv4 addresses transferred.
      * The transferee has not provided any IPv4 addresses for transfer
        through this Simple Transfer process within the preceding 24
        months.
      * The transferee may not provide any IPv4 addresses for transfer
        through this Simple Transfer process within the subsequent 24
        months, except in the case of business failure.
      * The transferee may only receive one IPv4 address transfer every
6
        months.
	* The transferee may request and receive a contiguous CIDR block
        large enough to provide a 12 month supply of IPv4 addresses.

As I reflect on your proposal I have some thoughts.

1) Must a transferee receive all allowed addresses in a single
transaction from a single transferor?  Because your new language says,
"receive a contiguous CIDR block" I assume that is your intent.  I
understand that there are router table issues here and I am a
businessman not a technologist but it seems if I am pre-qualified to
receive a /16 and I find two /17s that are already advertised they can
be moved to my address space with no net effect on the router table.

I can see the potential problem where several entities have been
pre-qualified as transferors of a /16 and begin transferring /20s
(possibly because the market has valued them higher) and my transferee
above puts together his /16 worth of address space by purchasing (I
think I did the math right) 8 /20s from different holders resulting in
significant additional entries in the routing table.

One solution to this is to allow the transfers but charge a transfer fee
for each transaction that increases the size of the router table.  My
rationale for the additional fee is that all members of the community
bear some additional cost and individual entities that cause the
additional cost should bear some burden.

2) I know there is a great concern in the community with speculators
that might buy and sell address space for a profit.  However the
unintended consequence of putting too many barriers to trade is that a
"gray market" will develop that will be outside of the control of the
RIR.  I understand from posts I have read here today that such a thing
is already happening.

Maybe this is not a problem and I am worrying about something that has
no effect.

Thanks again for your work.  You have shown great patience explaining
your proposal to all involved.

-Jim