[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Transfer Policy Proposal

Per Heldal heldal at eml.cc
Tue Feb 12 04:04:18 EST 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 16:36 -0800, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> I have some concerns with this proposal.
>
> This policy seems to undermine the idea that IP addressing is assigned on
> the
> basis of proving need.  It lends credibility to the idea that IP addressing
> is property, and could open the door to any number of lawsuits based
> on this.  For example if an organization "purchases" IPv4 they could
> then file a lawsuit against a large provider which decided to block
> access from that purchased block, claiming discriminatory behavior.

The suggested policy also seems to be in conflict with the RIR principle
of not being involved in routing. Wherever there's money to be made
there's greed and that can't be contained by simply telling people to
"be nice". The value of this kind of policy is questionable if it cannot
be enforced. To regulate other people's use of resources is
fundamentally different from the task of coordinating handouts from a
resource-pool.

//per