[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Transfer Policy Proposal

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Mon Feb 11 20:02:42 EST 2008

At 4:36 PM -0800 2/11/08, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>This is also at odds with the ARIN board's statement that organizations
>need to switch to IPv6 at http://www.arin.net/v6/v6-resolution.html
>rather than try extending IPv4.  Specifically:
>
>"...Board of Trustees hereby requests the ARIN Advisory Council to consider
>Internet Numbering Resource Policy changes advisable to encourage migration
>to IPv6 numbering resources where possible...."

"Changes to encourage migration to IPv6 *where possible*" does
not preclude changes that make IPv4 available for those for whom
it may not be possible to migrate in a timely manner.  The resolution
states that availability IPv4 space "cannot be assured indefinitely",
which is not the same as saying "shall not be efficiently managed
now that IPv6 is here"...

Each entity using address space faces its own set of business and
technical issues with migration, and to not consider the possibility
of transfer policies which would improve the overall utilization of
IPv4 address space would presume we know what's best on behalf
of every ISP, hosting company, content provider, enterprise, etc.

/John