[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Transfer Policy Proposal

Geoff Huston gih at apnic.net
Mon Feb 11 16:51:52 EST 2008

Raul Echeberria wrote:
 > Could the author of the proposal explain what is
 > the justification for requiring that the
 > transferee should also belong to ARIN's region?
 > It is only a question and it doesn't imply any
 > specific opinion about the topic.
 >
 > Raúl

Raul has not asked this more generally, but as the proposer of a similar
address transfer policy in APNIC that also has a similar restriction
(APNIC members only) I should add a note about why this restriction is
present in the APNIC transfer policy proposal.

In the APNIC case its about the regional address policy group being able
to define policy for themselves. In this case the policy proposal has
not been submitted as a coordinated policy across the RIRs nor as a
proposed global polic. It was submitted to the APNIC policy development
process as a proposed APNIC policy that would apply to APNIC members.

That said, I now notice that there are similar proposals in both the
ARIN and RIPE regions, so it may be possible during the course of the
consideration of these proposals to assess to what extent such transfer
mechanisms could be extended to encompass transfers across RIRs, as
Scott Leibrand has already indicated in his response to Raul.

Geoff