[ppml] "Who's afraid of IPv4 address depletion? Apparentlynoone."

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Sun Feb 10 16:32:48 EST 2008

> I'm an ISP customer.  My IPv4 network isn't growing (maybe I
> add a /28 per year).  Tell me why I care about IPv6.

A) If your ISP does not have IPv6 services ready when they can't
get IPv4 addresses any more, they will be unable to add new
customers. When word of this gets out, and it will, then they
will begin to lose customers who are nervous about the whole
situation, and that could lead to bankruptcy, and to you losing
your upstream connection on short notice.

B) You probably don't need to care a whole lot about IPv6 yet.
For an end customer whose network is not growing and who can
rely on their ISP for gateway services to the IPv6 Internet,
there is no big crisis looming. There will be rough waters in
two years, but many companies will keep on trucking without
being IPv6 pioneers.

--Michael Dillon