[ppml] "Who's afraid of IPv4 address depletion? Apparently no one."

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Sat Feb 9 18:51:06 EST 2008

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:
> 	i think a safe presumption is that this may be a
> 	predominant structure as long as there are "arrogant
> 	twits" who maintain the fiction that only IPv4 transport
> 	is needed to get to their content/eyeballs.  e.g. if
> 	facebook never supports IPv6 transport, this will be common.
> 	Facebook will never see IPv6 demand and claim "all is well"
> 	with IPv4 and the IPv6 hype is just that.
>
> 	I expect it will be common for new builds - so they can
> 	participate with that "other" address family.  Less common
> 	for existing builds - in part because the clients/content
> 	are already there.  UNTIL ... some compelling new content
> 	or feature is brought up ONLY on IPv6... then the installed
> 	base has to decide how to move.
>
> 	the middle ground, that you have espoused, where some content/
> 	applications are available over -both- address families - will
> 	be the predominant mode - but such will be an operational
> 	suite from outerdarkness...  because the transports are non-overlapping.

It's interesting that you should pick facebook as your example
popular site:

I believe the focus on the PC access paradigm might be missing
the potential for IPv6 adoption. As an ISP admin, I expect it
will be years after the exhaustion of the IPv4 pool before most
of my customers will be concerned about dual stacking, even
though they may not be able to access some content.

The potential for IPv6 probably rests in the hands of mobile,
embedded and networking devices. If providers build these types
of devices, and the next generation of services, on IPv6 and the
advantages it provides, then those services will bootstrap the
rest of the industry - "You mean I can do *that* on my PC?".

As someone who gets excited about tech, I hope it's not the stick
(IPv4 is running out!) that moves us along but rather the
potential services and devices that we create that get us there.

- Dan White