[ppml] "Who's afraid of IPv4 address depletion? Apparently no one."

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Sat Feb 9 08:39:43 EST 2008

In a message written on Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 06:34:43PM -0800, David Conrad wrote:
> http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/020608-ipv4-address-depletion.html

I've posted similar comments elsewhere, but why not here as well....

IPv6 is not a flag day; there is a dual stack transition period and
ALG's can easily bridge the two.  There are more than a few enterprise
networks designed with RFC1918 space internally and a small DMZ
network with dual homed mail servers, VPN servers, web proxy servers,
and the like.  At least in the short term these enterprises will
be well served by getting a /48 from their upstream, putting IPv6
on the outside interfaces of the 10 or so boxes in the DMZ, and
leaving the rest of their 10,000 internal systems alone on IPv4
RFC1918 space.

They will be able to send e-mail and browse web sites on IPv6 only
boxes just fine.  The VPN servers will allow someone with IPv6 only
at home to create an IPv4 tunnel back to the internal corporate
network.

I think we need to be careful with our message.  IPv6 is a "right
now" problem for ISP's and for major content providers.  However
IPv6 may also be a "in another couple of years" problem for an
Enterprise in the situation I describe above.  We need to focus our
efforts where they will do the most good.