[ppml] Policy Proposal 2007-23: End Policy for IANA IPv4 allocations to RIRs - Revised Text

William Herrin arin-contact at dirtside.com
Fri Feb 8 18:02:49 EST 2008

On Feb 8, 2008 3:18 PM, Member Services <info at arin.net> wrote:
> Policy Proposal 2007-23
> End Policy for IANA IPv4 allocations to RIRs

As with the prior versions, I support this proposal. However slightly,
it yields more warning at the end. If we can't have the free pool last
forever, at least we can have an extra couple of months forewarning
when it finally hits.

On Feb 8, 2008 4:00 PM,  <michael.dillon at bt.com> wrote:
> This is a deeply unfair policy. It means that when we near the point
> of exhaustion of IPv4, IANA will give some people a 3 year supply
> and some people a 3 month supply.

With the sole exception of AfriNIC, the difference in supply won't
extend IPv4 long enough for any of the RIRs to care about This was
discussed ad nauseam in the last go-round. I for one have no problem
with the folks in Africa catching a mild break this once.

> I suggest that the block size be based on the RIR whose yearly
> allocation of IPv4 addresses is the smallest, and be some defined
> fraction of that RIR's yearly fraction. For instance, if the
> 5 RIRs have the following annual allocation rates:

This is neither more nor less fair than the authors' proposal of
exactly one /8 per RIR. It is more complicated and if offers an extra
formula whose fairness we'd have to argue about. Shouldn't registries
who've taken action to slow the consumption of IP addresses for, lets
call it less critical needs, shouldn't those registries have the
privilege of running out later than the rest?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin                  herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us