[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 2008-6: Emergency TransferPolicyfor IPv4 Addresses - Last Call

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Tue Dec 30 18:36:21 EST 2008

Matthew Kaufman wrote:
> Kevin Kargel wrote:
>
>> My base feelings are that if what we are after is profit taking then perhaps an IP market is the way to go.  This would not be my primary goal, but then I am not and likely will never be declared king of the world.  If the position opens up though I am available.
>>
>> If what we are after really is managing and controlling the "Black Market" IP infrastructure then the way to do it is to diminish the value of the commodity, which in this case is quasi/non registered IP blocks.  Without value or operability of the commodity the black market would collapse.
>>
> I think there's a third possibility, that seems to be included in neither of the above, which is simply convincing people who are using IPv4 addresses to use fewer and return the rest. Some of that will be because there's a profit to be had (in the form of decisions like "is it more valuable to keep running this ISP with public address space, or shut it down / change it to a NATed-address ISP in trade for an immediate cash payout"), but I suspect even more of the money that changes hands will cover the people and equipment required to release the addresses to other users.
>
> It is very hard to convince a CIO to allocate equipment budget and staff  time towards renumbering into private address space, setting up NAT,  renumbering nameservers, etc. without presenting a proposal that includes "and when we do that, we get back 110% of the above cost in the  form of cash" at the end. For enough return, the CIO might even agree to  let the staff spend the time and money turning on IPv6!

That is an appealing scenario, but it leads to one very simple question:
who is going to give them that money?

One group of folks says people who want the addresses you're using would
pay you for them; that's called a market.

If you're against that idea, the only other logical source of money I
can think of is ARIN.  Where will ARIN get that money, though?  From the
new registrant(s) of that space, of course.  And that basically devolves
into a market as well, with some new downsides added.