[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 2008-6: Emergency TransferPolicyfor IPv4 Addresses - Last Call

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Tue Dec 30 12:38:56 EST 2008

Kevin Kargel wrote:
> This still does not obviate the fact that the effect of any peer-peer transfer policy will be to create an artificial commodity market for IP addresses, remove recyclable IP addresses from the fair-chase realm and will force everyone to pay every penny the market will bear for an IP address.

So you'd prefer a world where IP(v4) addresses can't be had at _any_
price because there is no incentive for those with excess space to
return any?

> Just because we could write the best policy in the world about humane ways to kill puppies doesn't mean it is a good idea to condone killing puppies, and I don't care if there are people out there doing it already anyway.

Ooh, why not throw in an analogy about child molesters, too?  That'll be
_sure_ to get the knee-jerk faction on your side.

> I oppose peer-to-peer transfer policies in their entirety no matter what the wording.

That's fair.

> I know this will bring vicious flames from those wanting to make profits trading IP addresses,

Many, many folks have an entirely different motive: freeing up address
space that _other_ people currently hold.  I have no profit interest in
address markets; I just want to make sure that, if someone wants
addresses badly enough, they are able to get them.  I do not feel that,
without incentive, the people who have them currently will be willing to
part with them -- and what legal authority ARIN has to forcibly take
them (to give to others) is, for now at least, unclear.

> but I honestly do not believe it would be good for the community.

Do you really think complete IPv4 exhaustion is better for the
community?  Or a widespread black market of address sales that _aren't_
registered with ARIN?  Those are the only two other options and, as much
as I dislike the idea of an address market, I believe it to be less bad
than the alternatives.

> ARIN manages registration of netblocks already, and does a fine job of it. I believe we can rely on them to steward that trust with the same responsibility and good will in the future. I believe bypassing ARIN in this manner would be a grave mistake.

This policy does _not_ allow folks to bypass ARIN, any more than the
real estate market allows a homeowner to bypass the county recorder's
office.  The days of free land for the taking are nearly over, so the
only choices we will soon have are move to a different continent (i.e.
IPv6) en masse, or allow people to sell their land to others.  The
registrar function changes from giving away "free" government land for a
registration fee to recording sales of private transactions -- again for
a registration fee.