[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Depleted IPv4 reserves

David Williamson dlw+arin at tellme.com
Thu Dec 4 08:37:10 EST 2008

On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 04:30:51AM -0500, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> [...]

At what point in time?  A /26 might not be useful today, but I can
guarantee that if microsoftupdate.com was suddenly a VIP in a /28, it
would get routed.  It's a matter of the value of the content in a given
routing slot.  If reaching some new startup with content everyone wants
requires routing to their NAT-PT block in a /26, ISPs will either route
it or their customers will leave.

What is and isn't routable is a matter of market value, not ARIN's
allocation policies.  Let's not get stuck in the belief that a specific
allocation size cannot be used because of today's routing market.

(And yes, this would put a bit more pressure on the routing table size
problem, but that's going to have to get sorted out via some other
mechanism anyway.)

-David