[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Depleted IPv4 reserves

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Wed Dec 3 13:03:42 EST 2008

Owen DeLong wrote:

>> The /24 boundary in IPv4 is much more rigorously enforced and far too
>> entrenched *everywhere* for the FTC or even God himself to get it all
>> out of there for a few special circumstances. I can announce less than a
>> /24 right now. It won't get very far. Who in their right mind is going
>> to contact every AS in the world and ask "pretty please, will you
>> configure every BGP speaking router you have to accept my /26 because
>> I'm special?" Their ISP is going to say "we're announcing it, tough luck
>> if the rest of the world won't see it". Who does that help except cause
>> mass frustration? And since it's an "IPv6 transition network" the
>> uninitiated are going to blame IPv6 as something that doesn't work.
>
> If ARIN starts issuing /26s from a defined block for this purpose, I'm
> willing to bet that most of the active AS in the world will catch on to
> that fact quickly enough.

Possibly. I'm just thinking from the perspective of some of the absolute
idiots I've had the (dis)pleasure to work with over the years. You know,
the kind where they hold management meetings on technical issues without
any technical people present and decide what the technical people will
do to solve the problem.

~Seth