[arin-ppml] The LRSA $100 fee...

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sun Aug 31 19:30:33 EDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 12:34 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:
> DNS Whois? If you are referring to the efforts of individuals to
> retrieve their privacy rights via proxy registration services, I don't
> see that as a race to the bottom but as a significant response to human
> rights concerns and legitimate demand.

Milton,

I have to strongly disagree with you here. Transparency is absolutely
critical to the address management process, especially with the status
of addresses as a diminishing resource. Without transparency, nothing
even vaguely similar to ARIN's current management process can exist.
Privacy and anonymity are forms of secrecy. They have an important
role in our society, but secrecy is fundamentally incompatible with
transparency. You can't have both.

If folks need anonymous addresses they can get them from the ISPs' PA
allocations. There's no call for secrecy at the international registry
level.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--