[arin-ppml] Stepping forward, opening my mouth and removing all doubt about

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Aug 28 11:22:02 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Tom Vest <tvest at pch.net> wrote:
> Could you provide pointers to where this was discussed extensively last
> year?
> I've tried to point out some potential issues at the mike or on this list
> since 2008-2 was introduced, but I don't recall much related discussion
> going back that far.

Tom,

Refer to:
http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/ppml/2007-July/008275.html
http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/ppml/2007-August/008310.html

> I still don't understand how one reconciles the two conflicting beliefs (a)
> that a transfer policy is essential because people will violate any transfer
> restrictions if that serves their private interests, and (b) transfer
> participants will comply with all transfer-related policy restrictions even
> if they if they conflict with their private interests. Why does that make
> sense?

Folks will comply with whatever set of constraints is the least
onerous. The Container Sale takes a lot of effort to set up and the
Ruse has some stability problems over time. A liberalized transfer
policy need only be "better" than one of those two to draw in the
folks who seek IP addresses.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--