[arin-ppml] ARIN's Authority - One view (was: Re: LRSA concerns)

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Wed Aug 27 00:02:11 EDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 04:25:36PM -0400, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> [...]

	well Milton, reciprocity is a good thing.  I'll start thinking
	like a policy person if you start thinking like a techie.

	if you can't gauge the costs properly (by using your techie googles),
	then your assessments's can't be accurate.

> > in a nutshell - a possible strategy is to repurpose IPv4.
>
> As a prognostication I find that plausible.
>
> But who makes the decision to repurpose? Operators or RIRs? Referring to
> my just-sent reply to Tom Vest, the issue is not whether a transition is
> needed, but where that decision is located and what role the RIRs play
> in facilitating it. I'm simply suggesting that given a scarce, legacy
> resource that everyone now needs, and an abundant, next-gen resource the
> utility of which depends on a massive migration across two incompatible
> standards, RIRs need to adopt policies that provide accurate price
> signals and which facilitate shifting the remaining ipv4 resources to
> their highest and best uses. I'm also suggesting that they refrain from
> exploiting their leverage over both resource pools to impose a top-down
> transition plan on operators.

	the RIR's are the operators (and others) who participate....
	even techies and policy wonks.

--bill